Covid wiped out 1 in 3 music industry jobs – UK Music calls for Government action
Today, UK Music – the collective voice of the UK music industry, publish its This is Music 2021 annual report looking back on a unique and devastating year for the industry.
The report makes recommendations on how Government can help the sector rebuild after the pandemic.
In addition to our economic analysis, Public First was also commissioned to survey the attitudes of the general public towards the music industry. We found that:
· 75% of the public are proud of the UK music industry and its heritage.
· 59% believe music improves the UK’s reputation overseas.
· 74% say music is important to their quality of life.
· The UK listens to 60 billion hours of music a year – the equivalent of 7 million years.
· 1 million people took up a musical instrument during lockdown.
You can read the full report here.